Theater Summer Camp Program
Do you have a passion for the Theater? Then the Camp Pillsbury Theater Summer Camp Program is the perfect choice for you for you this summer. At our distinguished summer camp in Minnesota, you will have fun and make friends while learning new skills and all the different aspects of Theater.
Travel through time and learn about the birth of Theater and how its changed over time. We will be reading and dissecting plays from different time periods to inspire discussions. Theater History is the vital for all artists, therefor serious performers are encouraged to participate. Plays will be provided. From the Greeks to Oscar Wilde, our Theater Summer Camp Program will put the world of theatrics will be at your fingertips.
Technical Theater Summer Camp Major
Theater has much more to offer besides being on stage. If you’re a person who prefers to be more hands on and watch shows come together from the ground up, this option is perfect for you! Become the creator of a vision only you can see and with collaboration of other campers in the Theater Summer Camp Program, it’ll become possible.
Elements of Stagecraft
In this hour session, campers will learn the importance of Stagecraft and how to: handle power tools safely, build a stage model, read set plans and complete set construction. Campers in Stagecraft will be responsible for designing and building the set for the selected show at the end of the session. Camp Pillsbury theater summer camp program facilities are fully equipped with lighting & sound and scene shop to keep campers with “behind the scenes” interests busy having fun!
Technical Theater Wheel
During the four week program, campers will rotate weekly among the following theater summer camp programs:
- Stage Management: Campers will learn the importance of organization within a show. From giving line notes to rehearsal reports, this week is guaranteed to help you control a room. While in rehearsals in our theater summer camp program, campers will learn the importance of a stage manager and have the opportunity to call the show on performance day.
- Lighting: Campers will learn how to hang and focus lights while learning color theory. During this week log theater summer camp program, campers will add the finishing touches to the set and truly create the theatrical mood after mastering the light board.
- Sound: Campers participating in this theater summer camp program will learn how to run wires, work a sound board and set the stage for all types of venues. From Rock to Broadway, students will master the art of sound.
- Publicity: Campers will learn the ins and outs of advertising and promoting a show in this theater summer camp program. From designing ticket stubs to posters, students will have complete control. We will examine different Broadway shows to see what works and what doesn’t. Students will then create a publicity campaign.
Theater Summer Camp Performance Major
At Camp Pillsbury, we’re always in the mood for playing a part. Campers who prefer the spotlight will be right at home with this concentration. In this session of the theater summer camp program, campers will dive into what makes acting so much fun. We will focus on transforming campers into believable actors who look and feel natural on stage. Campers can land a role in one of the many shows preformed during the summer. From full-scale musicals and dramas to the cabaret and improv troupes, there’s something for everyone!
- Acting Class: All campers in this concentration will spend an hour a day focusing on their craft. For this class we will be using two texts that campers are encouraged to bring: A Challenge for the Actor by Uta Hagen and Sanford Meisner, On Acting. These two books will be the foundation for the acting class and will help ground actors in their bodies and voices. This class will be fun and fast pace in order to create performances for the end of the theater summer camp program session.
- Movement Class: This theater summer camp program will help actors feel comfortable on stage as they explore the art of Viewpoints. Don’t know what Viewpoints are? No problem! All levels will quickly grasp the concept and before you know it will be able to create your own work of art. This class will meet for 2 hours during the first week and a half. Once a foundation is established classes will decrease to an hour so electives become available.
Theater Summer Camp Minors
- Costume Design: In this hour campers will: pull costumes, design costumes, and learn how to construct costumes as well. All levels of experience will find this hour fun and challenging. Campers in this theater summer camp program will learn how to sew by hand as well by using a sewing machine. With each stitch, students will create the look and feel for the show.
- Set Dressing: With this theater summer camp minor, students will learn the importance of details. From hanging fabric to painting techniques, campers will finalize the set construction process. (Set dressing will only be offered once the set is fully completed)
- Freeing Shakespeare: This theater summer camp elective will allow students to explore the importance of Shakespeare. From scenes to monologues and sonnets, performers will learn how to use the language to master the objectives. Even though Shakespeare is seen as a more challenging text, have no fear! All levels are welcome to explore this amazing playwright.
- Pantomime: Want to learn how to create theater without words? Then this is the perfect theater summer camp elective for you. By combining gestures with perfectly synchronized music/sound effects, a story can be told. The first two weeks will be spent learning how to use space and create the illusion of objects (ex. pulling on a rope or being trapped in a box.) The last two weeks will focus on creating a Pantomime that will be featured as the opening act for the final show. (Outside and extra rehearsals are required)
- Musical Theater: During this theater summer camp elective, students will explore the musical theater side of performing. We will create musical numbers for the ending show. Dancers, musicians and students with a special talent are encouraged to join! (Outside and extra rehearsals are required)
- Accents: Ever want to learn a few accents? After learning the International Phonetic Alphabet its possible! In this theater summer camp minor you will learn (but not limited to) – Neutral American, Irish, Standard British, Brooklyn, Deep South, etc. Students interested in Accents should sign up repeatedly in order to grasp the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- Improv: Are you quick on your feet or want to learn how to be? Then this theater summer camp minor is one you won’t want to miss. Become just as good or even better than the comedians on “Whose line is it Anyway”.